What is Gastroenterology and what does a Gastroenterologist do?
Gastroenterologist is a doctor who specializes in diagnosing and treating disorders of the gastrointestinal tract.Gastroenterology is the branch of medicine that deals with the digestive system, often known as the gastrointestinal tract. The gastrointestinal system is in charge of food digestion, nutritional absorption, and waste disposal from the body.
Gastroenterologists are experts who specialise in:
- The proper function of the gastrointestinal organs, or their physiology.
- Food motility refers to how well food moves through the digestive tract.
- The process of breaking down or digesting food.
- The nutrient absorption
- The process of removing waste from the body.
The gastroenterologist is in charge of all regular function as well as problems involving the digestive organs. Patients are cared for in an outpatient / clinic setting or in a hospital environment.
What does a Gastroenterologist do?
Gastroenterologist specialise on certain aspects of the digestive system. The oesophagus, stomach, small and large intestines, liver, gallbladder, and pancreas are among the organs affected. This has some overlap with the services given by general practitioners, ENT surgeons, upper GI surgeons, and colorectal surgeons.
The following are some of the most frequent illnesses and symptoms that a gastroenterologist treats:
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a kind of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Acid reflux of the stomach and oesophagus
- Pancreatitis is the inflammation of the pancreas (inflammation of the pancreas)
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is a kind of bowel illness
- Polyps in the large intestines
- Cancer of the gastrointestinal system
- Esophagitis (reflux) (caused by gastroesophageal disease)
- Cramps, bloating, and bloody stools
What Gastroenterologist work consist of?
To identify gastrointestinal disorders, a gastroenterologist may conduct a variety of procedures. These are not, however, surgical procedures.
Short-term or long-term medicine, such as Kamagra, is generally used to treat the condition. If surgery is necessary, gastroenterologists may send the patient to a gastrointestinal surgeon.
Endoscopy is one of the most common procedures performed by gastroenterologists. It entails the insertion of thin flexible tubes with a built-in video camera into the gastrointestinal system.
This allows the doctor to visualise the interior of the intestine and diagnose intestinal problems more accurately.
To diagnose a gastrointestinal illness, the following non-surgical techniques can be used:
- Colonoscopies (for the detection of colon cancer/polyps)
- Gastroscopies are a kind of endoscopy that involves (to detect oesophageal, gastric and small intestinal disease)
- Biopsies of the liver (to assess liver inflammation and fibrosis)
- Ultrasounds through the endoscope (to examine the gastrointestinal tract)
- Sigmoidoscopies (to assess blood loss and bowel discomfort)
- Capsule endoscopies are a type of endoscopy that takes place inside a capsule (to examine the small intestine)
When Should You Visit a Gastroenterologist?
If you have digestive issues, you should see a gastroenterologist. Chronic abdominal discomfort is one of the most common symptoms. Other frequent digestive problems that may require assessment by a gastroenterologist include bloating, gas, and diarrhoea.
Mild symptoms like nausea, stomach discomfort, and so on might be signs of something more serious. A stomach discomfort, for example, might be a sign of malabsorption diseases like celiac disease or lactose intolerance.
Future harm to the digestive system can be avoided by detecting these diseases. Extreme symptoms, such as blood in the faeces, may be experienced by some people. It is advisable to get advice from a gastroenterologist.
A gastroenterologist’s education and experience enable him or her to diagnose and treat a wide spectrum of gastrointestinal diseases. They may finish the diagnosis process and, in many circumstances, start a successful treatment plan as doctors and proceduralists.
As a result, a gastroenterologist may be trusted to treat digestive disorders completely and accurately.
If you are looking to schedule an appointment with a Gastroenterologist in Srinagar, Kashmir, India, Doctor G.N Yattoo is one of the best and senior Gastroenterologists available for consultation.